So I wrote a little north of 150 pages of the new novel and realized it was getting messy.
I stepped back and wrote 50 pages of character bios, read some books for research, wrote throwaway scenes, had my wife read the typescript… all productive ways of dodging the fact that I had no clue where the book was going.
Then I got back to the grind of figuring out what the story is.
It has been slow going.
But I just finished it, and it feels like I won the Stanley Cup. I’m sure it will enjoy a lot of revision, but now I’ve got something to work with.
It tried to run, it tried to hide, but I ran that sucker down!